Max Planck Gesellschaft
Max Planck Gesellschaft

Getting started in Jena

Where can I live?

Off-campus housing is very common, e.g. in shared houses or flats. The coordination office can, if you wish, assist in finding accommodation. Here are some starting points:

Interim solutions:

It is much easier to find for long-term accommodation once you are in Jena. Here are some options for the time immediately after your arrival:

  • If we know early enough about your arrival date, chances are that you can rent one of the Institute's guest rooms (for up to three month).
  • Another option are the furnished apartments in the guest houses of the University of Jena. To make use of this option, we need to know early enough when you will come, especially in autumn when many new students arrive for the winter term.
  • Alpha One Hostel Jena: They offer special rates for people who stay for a longer period of time. The website is only available in German. You can ask the coordination office for help.

What should I bring?

In terms of documents, you should bring

  • The originals of your high school diploma and all university diplomas for enrollment as a doctoral researcher
  • officially certified copy of the translation of your high school diploma and university diplomas

You will need a number of passport photos (for student ID, a biometric one for the residence permit, etc.) that of course can also be taken in Germany.
If you want to translate and certify documents, you will find translators in this database that are certified by the Federal Association of Interpreters and Translators. If you want to have copies of your documents certified, you can contact the legal department of the Friedrich Schiller University Jena.

Additional Information

This page was last modified on July 07, 2022, at 07:40 AM

Directions | Disclaimer | Data Protection | Contact | Internal | Webmail | Local weather | PRINT | © 2011-2023 Max Planck Institute for Biogeochemistry