My main research interest lies in the interaction of land biota with the climate system. My research integrates new ecophysiological knowledge, ecological observations (including plant trait information, in situ measurements, atmospheric concentration measurements, and remote sensing data) with modelling at different scales and levels of complexities. I develop, test and apply large-scale process-based terrestrial biosphere models to understand the interactions between land-surface and atmospheric processes.
Director of the Biogeochemical Signals Department at the Max-Planck-Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, DE
|2009-2020||Leader of the Terrestrial Biosphere Modelling Research Group at the Max-Planck-Institute for Biogeochemistry, Jena, DE|
|2005-2008||PostDoc at the Laboratoire des Sciences du Climat et de l'Environnement, Gif sur Yvette, FR|
|2000-2001||MSc-Environmental Sciences at the University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK.|
|1997-2000||Study of Geoecology at the Institute of Geoecology, Technische Universität Braunschweig, Braunschweig, DE.|
My work at MPI Biogeochemistry
- Nutrient cycles and the global carbon cycle
- Earth System Models for the future (ESM2025): Further development and application of the QUINCY model (Quantifying interactions between terrestrial nutrient cycles and the climate system.
- ClimGrassHydro: Model-data synthesis for the ClimGrass experiment to analyze effects of warming, elevated CO_2 and extreme climatic events on the productivity and biogeochemistry of a managed C3 grassland.
- Model evaluation and benchmarking activities
- ESA-funded Land-Carbon-Constellation project (2021-2023)
- Climate Carbon interactions in the currenct century (4C project) (2019-2023)
- TRENDY: Trends in net land carbon exchange over the contemporary period.
- In the winter-term, I teach climatology for physical geographers at the Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena.
- In the summer-term, I teach global environmental modelling at the Friedrich-Schiller University, Jena
- I also contribute to PhD-level courses on terrestrial and Earth system modeling and global change.
- Lead Author of the 6th assessment report of the IPCC working group I, Chapter 5 (Carbon and other biogeochemical cycles).
- Associate editor for the journal Biogeosciences
- Advisor for the journal New Phytologist.
- Member of the Michael Stifel Centre Jena for data-driven and simulation-based science at the Friedrich Schiller Universität, Jena
- Member of the scientific steering committee of the German Climate Computing Service DKRZ
- Member of the Minerva-Weitzmann Committee