Nov 2022 - Feb 2023: Visiting Researcher at Harvard, MA, USA
2018 - 2020: Masters in Water resources from IIT Bombay, India
2014 - 2018: Bachelors in Civil Engineering from AMU, India
My research centers around hydro-climatology with a focus on extreme weather events and land-atmosphere interactions. Currently, I am working on developing and utilizing physics-based box models of the Earth system that explicitly consider thermodynamic limits as a constraint on surface-atmosphere exchange. These models then enable me to investigate various aspects of temperature variability, turbulent exchange and hydrologic sensitivities. By integrating observations, data analysis, and modeling approaches, I seek to contribute to the advancement of our understanding of the Earth system and its response to climate change.
- Ghausi, S. A., Tian, Y., Zehe, E., & Kleidon, A. (2023). Radiative controls by clouds and thermodynamics shape surface temperatures and turbulent fluxes over land. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 120(29), e2220400120.
- Ghausi, S. A., & Ghosh, S. (2020). Diametrically opposite scaling of extreme precipitation and streamflow to temperature in South and Central Asia. Geophysical Research Letters, 47, e2020GL089386. https://doi.org/10.1029/2020GL089386.
- Ghausi, S. A., Ghosh, S., & Kleidon, A. (2022). Breakdown in precipitation–temperature scaling over India predominantly explained by cloud-driven cooling. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 26(16), 4431-4446.
- Tian, Y., Ghausi, S. A., Zhang, Y., Zhang, M., Xie, D., Cao, Y., ... & Kleidon, A. (2023). Radiation as the dominant cause of high-temperature extremes on the eastern Tibetan Plateau. Environmental Research Letters.
- Tian, Y., Zhong, D., Ghausi, S. A., Wang, G., & Kleidon, A. (2023). Understanding variations in downwelling longwave radiation using Brutsaert's equation. Earth System Dynamics (under review), 2023, 1-17.
- Sahastrabuddhe, R., Ghausi, S. A., Joseph, J., & Ghosh, S. (2023). Indian Summer Monsoon Rainfall in a changing climate: a review. Journal of Water and Climate Change, 14(4), 1061-1088.
- Ghausi, S.A., Muzzammil, M. (2021). Grey Water Characterization and Its Management. In: Jha, R., Singh, V.P., Singh, V., Roy, L., Thendiyath, R. (eds) Water Resources Management and Reservoir Operation . Water Science and Technology Library, vol 107. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-79400-2_21
- Ghausi, S. A., McColl, K., & Kleidon, A. (2023). Determining the radiative and hydrologic controls on the diurnal air-temperature range using the thermodynamic limit of maximum power (No. EGU23-7721). Copernicus Meetings.
- Ghausi, S. A., Kleidon, A., and Ghosh, S.: Radiative cooling by clouds affects the precipitation - temperature scaling derived from observations, EMS Annual Meeting 2021, online, 6–10 Sep 2021, EMS2021-108, https://doi.org/10.5194/ems2021-108, 2021.
- Ghausi, S. and Kleidon, A.: How much of the surface energy partitioning can be explained by controls imposed by thermodynamics?, EGU General Assembly 2022, Vienna, Austria, 23–27 May 2022, EGU22-4528, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu22-4528, 2022.
- Ghausi, S. A., Kleidon, A., and Ghosh, S.: Attributing the negative scaling of extreme precipitation with temperature over India to cloud radiative cooling during the monsoon season, EGU General Assembly 2021, online, 19–30 Apr 2021, EGU21-7902, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu21-7902, 2021
- Kleidon, A., Renner, M., Panwar, A., and Ghausi, S. A.: Understanding land surface-atmosphere interactions at the diurnal scale from energetic and thermodynamic constraints, EMS Annual Meeting 2021, online, 6–10 Sep 2021, EMS2021-107, https://doi.org/10.5194/ems2021-107, 2021
- Ghausi, Sarosh Alam, Axel Kleidon, and Subimal Ghosh. "Cloud radiative cooling explains the global variability in precipitation-temperature scaling derived from observations." AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. Vol. 2021. 2021.
- Ghausi, S A, Tian Y, Zehe E, and Kleidon A. "How much land-surface information is required to predict the seasonal variation in turbulent fluxes and surface temperatures?" AGU Fall Meeting Abstracts. Vol. 2022. 2022.
- Innovative Student Project award at Master's level by Indian National Academy of Engineering (INAE) - 2020
- Prof. UC Kothyari Best Master's Thesis Award by Indian Society of Hydraulics (ISH) - 2020
- Best Paper Award at HYDRO 2018 International Conference - 2018
- Peer reviewer for Journals: Hydrology and Earth System Sciences (HESS), Earth System Dynamics (ESD), Climatic Change (CC)