Global Carbon Budget: CO2 emissions further increasing

23. September 2014
According to the recent annual update, carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions from fossil fuel burning and cement production increased by 2.3% in 2013, with a total of 9.9±0.5 GtC (billion tonnes of carbon) (36 GtCO2) emitted to the atmosphere. Emissions are projected to increase by a further 2.5% in 2014.

In 2013, the ocean and land carbon sinks respectively removed 27% and 23% of total CO2 (fossil fuel and land use change), leaving 50% of emissions into the atmosphere. The ocean sink in 2013 was slightly above the 2004-2013 average, and the land sink was slightly below the 2004-2013 average.

The Global Carbon Budget 2014 is based on four analyses published on September 21st, including a manuscript in discussion co-authored by BGC scientist C. Rödenbeck:

Le Quéré, al.: Global carbon budget 2014, Earth Syst. Sci. Data Discuss., 7, 521-610.
doi:10.5194/essdd-7-521-2014, 2014.

For further details please see:
Zur Redakteursansicht